Teaching Fellows in the 2020 program will train to teach in one of the following critical-need subject areas:
- Biology Immersion or Chemistry Immersion for Grades 7-12
- Biology for Grades 7-12
- Chemistry for Grades 7-12
- Earth Science for Grades 7-12
- Physics for Grades 7-12
- Mathematics for Grades 7-12
- Mathematics Immersion for Grades 7-12
- Students with Disabilities Generalist for Grades 7-12
- Moderate/Severe Students with Disabilities Generalist in District 75 for Grades 1-6
- Moderate/Severe Students with Disabilities Generalist in District 75 for Grades 7-12
- Spanish Language for Grades 7-12
These will be the only subject areas offered for the 2020 program.
Please note that subject areas may change over the course of the application season based on the anticipated hiring needs of the NYC Department of Education.
To review our subject area eligibility requirements, please see the table below:
After submitting your application, you will not have another opportunity to edit or change your subject area preferences. We recommend that you think carefully about the subject area(s) that you would like to remain open to teaching before completing this section of the application.
Ultimately, we ask that you remain flexible regarding your subject area, since our mission as a program is to provide teachers to the students who need them most. If you are accepted to NYC Teaching Fellows, you will participate in training that is specifically tailored to your subject area during your training to ensure you are ready for the classroom in your subject area.